This is a fun game to help students who hate writing or revising essays/short answers for IGCSE, AS Paper 2 and A2 Paper 4 .
I see this as both a formative tool that can be used in normal teaching as well as a revision exercise in Term 4.
I am sure you will have your own ideas and I would be interested as to how you adapt and modify to meet the nature of your individual teaching style and syllabus.
1. Brainstorming key ideas related to the essay (Team 4)
• Divide class into 2,4 or 6 groups of approx 4 students. You may try to mix abilities or academically stream depending on your cohort.
• Each team to elect an ‘Examiner’. This person will rotate and change with each game.
• Choose an essay (Most Eco essays have two parts A & B). Half the teams will start with essay A, while half start with essay B.
• Prior to the essay game you may wish to revise the topic and / or give students time as a team to do so.
• The teams get 2 mins to try to name as many mark points as they can. The Examiner cannot help the teams but can simply tick and confirm when they get a mark point.
• The Bonus round!
At the end of 2 minutes the Examiner A swaps with Examiner B. Hence all teams have seen both essays. The new team is read the question as well as the mark points already gained by the previous team. Any extra mark points that they brainstorm are bonus points. (You may wish to give these double value!)
• Marks are collated both as a team of 4 students as well as a Super Team of 8 students ie the 2 teams that work together on the same essays A & B.
• Team Points can me collated over a lesson or a term. You may wish to offer a prize to the best team and/ or the best Super Team.
2. Essay Plan (Team 2)
• In pairs, they have 2 mins to plan a logical chain of thought that links the mark points they individually understand.
• Do not encourage them to use point that they do not understand. Remember than aiming for B/C grades do not need full marks.
3. Writing a draft essay (Team 1)
• Students have 1 min in silence to revise the essay.
• Students have 4 min in silence to revise the essay.
• Student pairs then mark each others essays.